7.25.2006

Three found dead in downtown hotels

[Updated: 12:30 p.m. Tuesday] Authorities said they've have found three people dead in downtown single-room occupancy hotels Tuesday. The body of the third person was found at the Hotel Congress near the corner of 12th and I streets, police said.

Sacramento Fire Capt. James Doucette said all three people have died in very hot rooms that were not air conditioned. Precise causes of death are not yet known.

"We're concerned about what is going on," Doucette said. "We have a couple community centers that will hopefully stay open longer than usual."

Police and firefighters will be going to single-room occupancy hotels Tuesday to talk to managers about making sure residents are being monitored, he said.

Doucette said city public safety officials will be meeting this afternoon with Sacramento Sheriff's officials to discuss a county-wide plan of safe-guarding vulnerable people from heat-related deaths.

Earlier Tuesday, two elderly men were found dead at the Golden Hotel near 10th and J Streets, police said, and authorities were investigating whether the heat may have been a factor in their deaths.

"It is under investigation as a natural death, but it may be heated related. The coroner is looking into that," Police Sgt. Terrell Marshall said of the men found at the Golden Hotel.

One man was described as being 80 years old and white, the other was a 79-year-old Latino.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, that's not very encouraging. The warming of the globe needs to be stopped...

1:31 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm sure I may be the next to go. Wonder how hot it is in my place? I think I should get a thermometer for my bedroom.

Must be nice to have CH&A...

1:54 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Update! - I am too lazy to log in to post this and this is way easier....

I drove to get coffee for everyone a few minutes ago. Coffee shop is maybe 6 minutes by car. My entire arm is sunburnt (left window side...)

I hate summer. I hate Sacramento. While I'm at it, I hate the sun.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just walked to the mailbox and started sweating...this is nuts.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home